There are three layers of governance within Exceed Academies Trust:
· Members – responsible only for fundamental decisions such as changing the constitution of the academy trust.
· Trustees (Directors) – have ultimate responsibility for making strategic decisions about the day to day running of all the schools in the Trust.
· Governors – support the Trustees by monitoring and challenging the performance of each school at a local level.
Each school has a Local Advisory Board (in some cases a more focussed interim board will be implemented to support rapid improvement), which has delegated responsibility for monitoring the day to day running of the school. The LAB is made up of the Governors of the school. Some Governors are appointed by the Trustees whilst others are elected by parents or carers of pupils/students at the school or by staff. A LAB includes:
· A representative of the Trust;
· The Headteacher/Executive Headteacher;
· 2 Parent Governors;
· 2 Staff Governors;
· 3 Co-opted Governors.
For further information about governance within Exceed Academies Trust please visit the Trust’s website by clicking here.
Copthorne Primary School’s Local Advisory Board (Governing Body) plays an essential part in leading our school forward and in ensuring that Copthorne continues to have the highest standards and a clear vision of excellence for the pupils and community we serve. Members of the Governing Body are in regular contact with the school and its pupils. Each year group has been ‘adopted’ by a school Governor who visits the classes, writes to the children and, where possible, accompanies them on school trips and/or attends events in school.
Our governors act as the critical friend of the headteacher and senior leadership team, and provide support and challenge to ensure effective running of the school. Their key responsibilities include:
• ensuring the quality of educational provision;
• challenging and monitoring the performance of the school;
• ensuring good financial health and probity;
• supporting the SLT in management of staff.
In order to fulfil these responsibilities, our Local Advisory Board will:
• help the school to set high standards by planning for the school’s future and setting targets for school improvement;
• keep the pressure up on school improvement by monitoring and evaluating the progress the school is making towards it’s set aims and objectives;
• be a critical friend to the school, offering support and advice;
• help the school respond to the needs of parents and the community;
• make the school accountable to the public for what it does;
• work with the school on planning, developing policies and keeping these under review;
• exercise its responsibilities and powers in partnership with the headteacher and staff;
• not intervene in the day-to-day management of the school unless there are weaknesses in the school, when it then has a duty to take action.
Details of the membership of our Local Advisory Board including when they were appointed, their term of office, who appointed them, any relevant business and pecuniary interests and record of attendance over the last academic year can be found by navigating to the Governor Overview, Attendance and Register of Interests below.
You can contact the Chair of our Local Advisory Board (or another Governor) via the school by calling 01274 501460 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or via our Clerk (Peter Taylor) by emailing email@example.com.
Chair of Governors: Phillip Gerrard (co-opted)
Vice Chair: Faye Pearson (co-opted)
CEO: Duncan Jacques
Executive Headteacher: Christabel Shepherd
Head of School: Stephanie Ngenda
Co-opted: Kathryn Sullivan
Staff: Amer Khan
Parent: Abdul Majid Siddique
Parent: Ibrar Saddique
Clerk to Governors: Peter Taylor
Class Link Governors
Early Years: Kathryn Sullivan
Year 1: Faye Pearson
Year 2: Abdul Majid Siddique
Year 3: Stephanie Ngenda
Year 4: Amer Khan
Year 5: Ibrar Saddique
Year 6: Phillip Gerrard
Please click here to see the latest Governor Overview, Attendance and Register of Interests.
If you feel you could make a positive contribution to the work of our Local Advisory Board, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact our Clerk, who will provide further advice and information, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.